Friday, June 27, 2008

I think this is a total waste of time and $$$

Okay, so blogging on the road hasn't turned out like I'd planned. It is much more challenging to find time to sit at a computer and think after a 12+ hour day than I'd anticipated. I've been in Orlando since Tuesday and can't wait to go home. After rising this morning at 6:00 AM (that's 5:00 am Memphis time) for a run w/ colleagues, I headed off to more "inspiring" education classes and meetings. As I approached our first meeting room, I told my dear friend Ann, who does the same job I do but for the Knoxville region, that I hadn't gotten much out of this conference and I was quite worried that I had wasted my time and my association's $$$. Then, I entered the most amazing educational session entitled: Wild Card Track: Motivational Leadership. As I entered, I thought . . . "Hum . . . it is going to take a whole lot more than this giant cup of coffee to motivate me this morning . . . " We walked into the room, sat down, heard a speaker but didn't see one. That is because he wasn't up on the podium behind the mic as a traditional speaker. He was on the floor in a wheelchair sitting among the crowd. Chad (Hymas) is a quadriplegic who became paralyzed after a giant bale of hay fell on him on his elk farm. I wish I'd had a tape recorder. He was AMAZING. Not only has he overcome the challenges of becoming a quadriplegic, but he has risen to be an amazing leader of mankind and a dear husband and father. I tired to find a good article / video of Chad but couldn't. Here are a couple of links w/ further info about Chad if you're interested:
News article
Chad's website

The seminar was more than worth every penny and every minute I spent away from the office. What an amazing blessing to get to hear Chad!

No comments:

Post a Comment